As an apprentice at Walter Smith here's what you can expect ....
Walter Smith has been committed to training and developing its staff since it
was established in Lodge Road, Birmingham back in 1885. Hanging on the wall at
the Walter Smith Food Academy Dudley (opened in 2010) is a sepia photograph
taken in 1930 of the founder G.A. Smith (Walter’s father) teaching a group of
"the old and the new"
Walter Smith has employed the following Institute of Meat and Meat Training
Council prize winners:
- 2010 Mark Chalmers (now manager of the largest shop and a part-time Assessor)
- 2011 Denise Engley (now a full time assessor)
- 2012 Richard Carter (Meat Apprentice of the Year – Chase Farm Shop)
- 2012 James Green (Harborne Shop)
- 2013 Craig Cutler (Dudley Shop)
- 2013 Best Company Training Scheme – Awarded by Princess Anne (see top of entry
- 2014 George Scott (Best Retail Butchery Apprentice 2013).
- 2014 Aubrey Allen (we entered one of our clients for best Training Scheme and
Walter Smith’s HR Director (one of 2 senior staff that are G.M.Inst.M) has
taught on the University’s post-graduate certificate. He is also an NAS.
Apprentice Ambassador for West Midlands and is a Chartered Fellow of the CIPD.
Walter Smith is very proud to be the current National Medium Apprentice Employer
and a Top 100 employer
Some further images of our apprentices and other staff during their training and
Nathan Hawkes completing his Final Assessment
Apprentices preparing tops of beef at the Walter Smith Food Academy
Apprentices visiting Packington Free Range Pig Farm, near Tamworth as part of their programme of study.
Apprentice visit to an Abattoir
Apprentices presenting our products at an event attended by the Prime Minister and the Skills Minister at BMW/MINI Oxford in November 2013.
Retail Assistants – customer service training – November 2013 – March 2014. At
our Food Academy.